On Sunday night, Temilade Openiyi, also known as Tems, made history by winning her first Grammy award. Let’s read below to know more about her grammy award 2023.
What Is Grammy Award?
The Grammy Award is an annual awards ceremony that honors outstanding achievements in the recording industry. It was first held in 1959 and is presented by The Recording Academy, a professional organization of musicians, producers, and other music professionals.
The Grammys recognize excellence in various music genres including pop, rock, hip-hop, country, classical, and jazz. The awards are highly prestigious and are considered one of the most important awards in the music industry.
Tems Grammy Award 2023
Tems was recognized for her work on the song “Wait for You” by Future, where she was awarded for Best Rap Melodic Performance. Tems was also nominated for Best Rap Song.
Tems’ win has sparked hope among Nigerians that it is finally the time for Afrobeats to be recognized on a global stage.
Tems has joined the ranks of Sade Adu, who won the Grammy for Best New Artist in 1986, as the only female artists in NIgeria to have won a Grammy.
On the other hand, Burna Boy, who already has a Grammy award to his name, failed to win in his two nominations for Best Global Music Album for his album “Love Damini” and Best Global Music Performance for his song “Last Last“.
Masa Takumi won the award for Best Global Music Album for his album “Sakura“, and “Bayethe” by Wouter Kellerman, Zakes Bantwini, and Nomcebo Zikode won Best Global Music Performance. These awards were announced at the Grammy premiere ceremony.
In the past, Nigerian artists have struggled to win a Grammy, but with Burna Boy’s win in 2021 for Best Global Music Album for “Twice as Tall”, more artists are now striving to win this prestigious award.
List of Awards Received by Tems
On February 5, 2023, Tems made history as the first female Nigerian artist to ever win a Grammy award. She won the award for her work on the song “Wait For U” by Future, which also features Drake.
Tems, the Nigerian singer and songwriter, has received numerous awards and recognition for her exceptional talent. She has been recognized as one of the most critically acclaimed African artists, receiving the Prize for Music at The Future Awards Africa and the Impact Award at the BMI London Awards.
These awards were in recognition of her ground-breaking artistry, creative vision, and impact on the future of music. In 2020, Tems released her debut album “For Broken Ears” which was promoted by the hit song “Damages”.
The album received nominations at the All-Africa Music Awards and The Beatz Awards. She then collaborated with Wizkid on “Essence”, which received critical acclaim and was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Global Music Performance.
This song went on to win several awards at the BET Awards, NAACP Image Awards, The Headies Awards, and Soul Train Music Awards. In 2021, Tems released her second studio album “If Orange Was a Place”. The album won the award for Best R&B Album at The Headies.
Tems was also featured in Future’s hit song “Wait for U” alongside Drake, which was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Rap Song and won the award for Best Melodic Rap Performance.
Tems was also honored with awards at the American Music Awards and the BET Hip Hop Awards. In 2022, Tems contributed to Beyoncé’s album “Renaissance”, appearing on the track “Move”. She received nominations at the NAACP Image Awards and Soul Train Music Awards.
Tems also had the opportunity to work with acclaimed music talents such as Ludwig Göransson, Ryan Coogler, and Rihanna on the soundtrack for the film “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”.
Tems co-wrote the song “Lift Me Up” which was performed by Rihanna and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song. The song was also nominated for awards at the Golden Globe Awards, Critics’ Choice Awards, and Satellite Awards.
Tems also performed the song “No Woman No Cry” for the soundtrack, receiving nominations at the All-Africa Music Awards and the NAACP Image Awards.
Awards and Nominations
Tems is a Nigerian singer and songwriter who has been nominated and won several awards including:
- 2021 African Entertainment Awards USA: Best Female Artist (Won) & Best Collaboration (Won)
- 2021 Afro X Digitals Awards: Pop Song of the Year (Female) (Won)
- 2021 All Africa Music Awards: Best Female Artist in Western Africa (Nominated), Breakout Artist of the Year (Nominated), Best Collaboration (Won), Song of the Year (Won)
- 2022 American Music Awards: Favorite Afrobeats Artist (Nominated), Collaboration of the Year (Nominated), Favorite Hip-Hop Song (Won), Favorite R&B Song (Won)
- 2021 BET Awards: Best New International Act (Nominated), 2022 BET Awards: Best New Artist (Nominated), Best International Act (Won), Best Collaboration (Won)
- 2022 BET Hip Hop Awards: Song of the Year (Nominated), Best Collaboration (Won)
- 2022 Grammy Awards: Album of the Year (Renaissance) (Nominated), Best Rap Song (Nominated), Best Melodic Rap Performance (Won)
- 2022 Hollywood Music in Media Awards: Best Original Song in a Feature Film (Won), Song/Score – Trailer (Nominated)
- 2022 MTV Europe Music Awards: Best New Act (Nominated), Best African Act (Nominated)
- 2022 MTV Video Music Awards: Best Hip Hop (Nominated), Song of Summer (Nominated)
- 2022 NAACP Image Awards: Outstanding New Artist (Nominated), Outstanding Music Video/Visual Album (Won), Outstanding International Song (Won)
- 2023 Grammy awards: Best Melodic Rap Performance (won)
- Read More Here
My ambition as a child was to become an accountant, but life took me to where I am today. Blogging became one of my Hobby since I was 16, and I took it as a profession when I turned 22.